|1||8 September 2017||Prologue||1-30||Boarding House||1 hour|
-telling the first impression of the writer when she had to move from the city to the rural place, Appalachia.
- I think1 this book is one level higher than my skill but I still try to understand the story.
|2||11 September 2017||chapter 1 and 2||31-36||class||15 mins|
- telling her fisrt time meeting her husband.
|3||15 September 2017||chapter 2||37-42||home||15 mins|
- I love the way Henry's family treated Janice. The family is such a lovely family living in a peace area. Eventhough, the real condition of the place was really pity.
|4||16 September 2017||chapter 3||43-55||Home||35 mins|
From this part, there are some different spelling in writing the Appalachian talk.
example : your=yir, just=jist, stomache=stomick
|5||20 September 2017||chapter 4||55-63||boarding house||1 hour|
- in Appalachian culture, the way of saying 'I have to go now" is 'Just go up with' (it's a polite way of saying)
- It's so rare of drinking tea in Appalachia
- keer=can, nekkid=naked
- Appalchian is so low in the sense of music. But they have a music choir in the church
|6||23 September 2017||chapter 4||64-71||class||30 mins|
- Frony : "having something to take care of can bring you benefits"
- in this part also showed the conflict of Janice and Frony because of their different opinion (eventhough they're so close)
-this part begin to talk about Frony who is a widow and an old-fashioned woman.
|7||25 September 2017||chapter 5||71-78||boarding house||40 mins|
- their financial needs getting low
- Henry and Janice were struggling to fullfill their financial needs. Then Henry tried to borrow some mules from his sib to help him in the garden. Eventhough he and Janice a bit embarrased but they had to do this.
- they sold their yield to the city and packed the yield beautifully
|8||30 September 2017||chapter 5||79-84||boarding house||20 mins|
- they managed to solve their financial problem
- Jenice and her husband felt bored about their house decoration. they started to change their house wallpaper. Janice was the most person who chose the design because her sense of art was better than Henry. They also bought new house equipment with their money from the selling of the yield
- they missed their old house in the city actually
|9||10 October 2017||chapter 6||85-95||class||10 mins|
- Janice made a mistake while gardening. She changed the planting concept made by his husband. So that, the plant didn't grow up at the time it used to.
- this part is a bit boring
|10||18 October 2017||chapter 7||96-106||boarding house||35 mins|
- they were struggling on their farm to get money
- Elmer, their neighbor, helped them to work their farm
- the ridge was also lost the water sources. Henry, Elmer ad the other folks worked hard to make a well.
- On the tenth day of August 1949, they could hear the gurgle of water.
- this part telling about the rare behavior of ridge people. it was really unusual to serve food for the workers because they believe that the workers are collecting their food too ( make money to get food). So we don't need to prepare the workers any food.
|11||20 October 2017||chapter 8||107-110||boarding house||15 mins|
- here, the writer talked about Elmer and his wife, Serreny.
- they were married in their young age and now they had life as a couple for sixteen year with nothing to expect in the future. Beacuse they were just a teenager who didn't have anything to life except their parent help them to life. Now they had 10 children.
- one day, while Elmer was in his work for Henry's farm, his wife shocked people by her dead baby inside her belly. She was run to hospital in the town and the doctor said that the baby was dead for ten days. That was why Serreny felt unwell that day.
- Eventhough they live as a really poor couple, they loved each other no matter what. they always encourage each other until they can proove their love for 16 years with 10 children.
- Jenice seemed in love with this couple.
|12||22 October 2017||chapter 9||111-123||campus||30 mins|
- this chapter was just talking about cooking and cooking receipt that Janice loved to cook at the ridge.
- I have no sense in this chapter
- but here, the writer also told the differences in serving or cooking food in the town and the ridge.
- Ridge people cooked more simple than the town people did.
|13||24 October 2017||chapter 10||124-133||campus||15 mins|
- they were visited by a man from the country named Sale Coffey. He did a survey to the ridge
- He was in the same homeland with Janice. It made them close.
- in this part there were an accident that shocked Janice and people in the ridge. Sale was joining Henry to work in the farm, as a one of his survey. he was hit by the farm's tool and it hurt his old body. he was 71 that time.
-Sale was really close to Janice and Henry. they're still keep in touch eventhough Sale had to back to the town
|14||28 October 2017||chapter 11||133-143||home||15 minds|
- the unexpected season came. it made the well that they had dug became dry. they had to work harder to dig the well until they heard the sound of the water.
- this part was telling the happiest moment of Janice. Her book had been published with 110.000 readers.
it such a good news for them while they were in a pity financial condition.
- she could get her type-writer back and continue her writing